History and Inception
The concept of hosting an annual or biennial congregation of members of the NVDA community originated as a brainchild of NVDA community members themselves. Serving as a platform dedicated to a dynamically evolving screen reader, the 2017 edition of NVDACon was the sixth NVDA Users and Developers Conference. In March 2014, the organization of the first NVDACon took place, where current developments in NvDA and add-on development was discussed. Today, NVDACon allows NVDA users and developers to discuss latest developments in NVDA as well as learn more about various aspects of NVDA such as code development. This conference also provides a forum for users to meet and discuss suggestions, bug reports and so on about NVDA.
NVDACon International 2018
The fifth year of NVDACon International was held on June 1 through June 3. NVDACon 2018 was themed “Future proofing NVDA”, and future proofing it did, by expanding the NVDACon Planning Committee to four continents, producing the largest turnout in the history of NVDACon International, and featuring presentations on some cutting-edge activities and technologies in the NVDA community. A scanning tool from Japan, the virtual technology club model from Ireland, powerful add-ons written by European contributors, and among others completed the lineup of sessions at NVDACon 2018 with the ever-popular Keynote Address by the NV Access staff.
- June 1, 2018
- June 2, 2018
- Opening Forum, round 2
- Lightning Talks
- Coming soon: Shared Computer, Audacity and future accessibility projects (Presenter: Robert Hänggi)
- Lightning Talks
- NVDA 2018 Community Engagement Promo
- Keynote with NVAccess
- Coming soon: Questions after keynote (Round 1)
- Coming soon: Questions after keynote (Round 2)
- Coming soon: Closing forum
NVDACon International 2017
The fourth year of the international NVDACon and sixth iteration of the same, NVDACon International 2017, took place from the 19th to the 21st of May, 2017, and received coverage, broadcasting and mentions by several AT news agencies including BlindBargains, CoolBlindTech, Eyes On Success, ACB Radio’s Main Menu, Edified Access Radio among many others, as well as widespread community interest. Themed around ‘Community Engagement’ itself, the community did indeed play its vital part in organizing, attending and promoting the conference. With an NV Access sponsored Teamtalk server and web domain, presentations from a Google engineer, a Windows 10 accessibility champion, Dictation Bridge crew members, a Dutch assistive technology trainer himself and up to three sessions from the ever expanding NV Access staff, NVDACon International 2017 did not fail to match the increasingly significant role NVDA, as a screen reader, and the NVDA community, as its driving force, must now shoulder in the Windows screen reading space.
- May 19, 2017
- May 20, 2017
- Lightning Talks
- Windows ten with NVDA (Presenter: Joseph Lee)
- May 21, 2017
NVDACon International 2016/Tenth Anniversary Edition
Now an annual Internet-based summit of NVDA users and developers, the 2016 edition of the international NVDACon marked ten years of fruitful existence and excellent service by a free and open source screen reader that is NVDA. This 4-day conference happened on April 22, 23, 29 and 30, and celebrated the multitude of applications and feature sets of NVDA, from Braille to Math. As part of these educational festivities, an add-ons festival also took place. Third party accessibility projects such as F123 Access and Dictation Bridge showcased the power of their products in conjunction with NVDA. Apart from the interactive Keynote Presentation session with NV Access staff, this conference expressed its gratitude to Joseph Lee, who retired as chairperson of NVDACon, handing over the responsibility of NVDACon chief management to Derek Riemer.
- April 22, 2016
- Conference opener and user open forum
- Lightning Talk I
- Dictation Bridge: Lucy Greco, Pranav Lal (Dictation Bridge)
- Mozilla’s collaboration in NVDA development: Marco Zehe (Mozilla Foundation, could not participate due to health reasons)
- F123 Access (presenter: Fernando Botelho, Mark Readdie)
- April 23, 2016:
- NVDA and employment (presenters: Dave Williams and Sean Randall)
- Add-ons festival (various add-on authors and users
- Interactive lab on add-on writing and NVDA Core development (lab leader: Joseph Lee)
- April 29, 2016:
- NVDA 101 for users of other screen readers (host: Joseph Lee)
- NVDA and math (presenters: Derek Riemer (University of Colorado at Boulder and NvDA contributor), Sina Bahram (Prime Access Consulting))
- Lightning Talk II
- Global and online NVDA communities: Joseph Lee (NVDA contributor)
- NVDA’s braille features and support: Davy Kager (LibLouis and NVDA contributor)
- April 30, 2016:
- Closing forum and testimonials
NVDACon March 2015.1
With its steadily increasing popularity, the first assembly of NVDA users and developers for the year 2015 spanned two weekends and covered a variety of in-demand topics. Held on March 14th and 21st, 2015, this conference furthered the User General Chat and Keynote Presentation in 2015, convened NVDA translators from across the globe, gave a glimpse to users of Windows 10 and its usability with NVDA, and given their popularity, hosted another screen reader transitioning and add-ons discussion.
- Day 1 (March 14, 2015):
- Session 3: Meet The Developers: keynote presentation from Michael Curran, one of the lead developers of NVDA
- Google apps with NVDA (session recording unavailable)
- Session 1: user general chat (post production edit by Jeff Bishop)
- Session 4: NonVisual way to transition from JAWS for Windows to NVDA
- Session 5: Going global with NVDA translations
- Session 6: Forward to the future with Windows 10
NVDACon November 2015.2
Intended as a preliminary version of the 10th anniversary celebrations that were to take place in the NVDA community throughout 2016, the overall fourth iteration of the international NVDACon took place on November 14, 2015. It gave an updated sneak-peak at Windows 10, demonstrated the optimal utilization of several Google apps, and offered a chance to NVDACon attendees to shape the future of the NVDA conferences by assisting in the organisation of NVDACon 2016’s 10th anniversary edition.
- Session 1: user general chat and Windows 10 demos
- Session 2: Google Apps (presenter: Derek Riemer)
- Session 3: NVDA tenth anniversary planning meeting and summary
NVDACon March 2014.1
An NVDA Users and Developers Conference was held for the first time ever on March 1, 2014. From introducing the tradition of a commencing User General Chat to concluding with a Keynote Presentation, this is where it all began. The possibility of building NVDA’s skills by the creation, development and maintenance of NVDA add-ons is also explored in depth.
- Session 1: user general chat
- Session 2: Keynote presentation from developers
- Session 3: Add-on creation, development and maintenance
NVDACon July 2014.2
Originally conceptualized as a biennial gathering, the second iteration of the international NVDACon took place on July 12, 2014. Kicking off with User General Chat as always, it featured a special session to answer questions pertaining to the transition from JAWS for Windows to NVDA and hosted a follow-up session to discuss the status of the community add-ons portal.